With four exquisite watercolours in an extraordinary technique
Title: With four exquisite watercolours in an extraordinary technique
ALBUM AMICORUM of Louise Constance Henriette van Oosterhoudt.
Description: (Ophemert & Zennewijnen), 1841-1855. Oblong 4to (ca. 245 x 195 mm). Contemporary dark red buckram box in the form of a book, both sides elaborately blind stamped with gilt borders and leather panels, on the front cover with the word 'Album' in gilt initials, blind stamped spine, gilt inner dentelles, silk pink endpapers & silk ribbon, g.e., kept in original marbled slip-case. With 14 entries including 3 pencil drawings, 2 photographs, 5 watercolours, 3 pen & ink drawings, 1 embroidery (for details see below). (14) and 26 blank leaves with gilt edges.
Charming album amicorum of Louise Constance Henriette van Oosterhoudt (b. 26 November 1825), with 13 entries, including 4 fine watercolours in exquisite stencil technique with flowers by her own hand. Apparently she has made a trip along the river Rhine together with her family during the summer of 1847 (see entries 3-6). Entries 8-9 by the young Belgian painter Edouard van den Bosch (Brussels 1828-1878)?
List of entries:
1. Photograph of the owner (95 x 60 mm), together with the printed confession of faith and confirmation of Louise C.H. van Oosterhoudt in the Reformed church of Ophemert and Zennewijnen, dated 19 March 1845, and signed by the minister H.C. Voorhoeve. 6, (2) pp.
2. (Pastoral scene: two cows and sheep drinking at a pond). 117 x 144 mm. Pencil drawing signed and dated 'B.H.M Rodideloo, Août 1855', in an envelop with the text 'A ma très chère Louise'.
3. (River view of the Rhine with the city of Neuwied). 95 x135 mm. Original photograph, Signed (stamped) 'C(arl) Spielmann Neuwied'. See: B. Zeitz & Bernhard Gondorf, Carl Spielmann photographiert 1860 bis 1880 Region Neuwieder Becken (Neuwied, Kehrein, 1989).
4. (View on a river, probably the Rhine ). 130 x 170 mm. Watercolour in sepia and grey-blue.
5. (View on a German house in a hilly landscape). 110 x 158 mm. Washed pen and ink drawing signed and dated 'G.J.v.O(osterhoudt?), 1847'.
6. (Landscape with German farmhouse). 110 x 153 mm. Pen and ink drawing, signed and dated 'D.V.O(osterhoudt?). 1847'.
7. (View on a farmhouse). 86 x130 mm. Pen and ink drawing signed and dated 'K.H.L van Oosterhoudt, 1847'.
8. (View on a nord-Italian (?) village at the foot of steep mountains with three people talking in a veranda). 228 x 174 mm. Pencil drawing, the three people coloured and heightened with white. Signed E(duart). van den Bosch; on the back: '3 Octobre, La Haye'.
9. (Seascape with fisher boat). 80 x 110 mm. Pencil drawing signed and dated 'Eduard van den Bosch, 20 April 1841'.
10. (Flowers). Embroidery, 80 x 140 mm, sewn to leaf 225 x 175 mm. Signed and dated by 'Betsy van Oosterhoudt, The Hague, 25 September, 1846'.
11. (Two peaches on a branch with foliage). 120 x 190 mm. Watercolour in stencil technique. Signed by Louise Constance Henriette van Oosterhoudt.
12. (Two peaches on a branch with foliage). 106 x 225 mm. Watercolour in stencil technique, slightly variant of no. 11.
13. (Branch with 3 blue flowers and foliage). 130 x 100 mm. Watercolour in stencil technique.
14. (Branch with 2 pink roses and foliage). 227 x 175 mm. Large watercolour in stencil technique.
In very good condition.- (Slipcase sl. damaged).
Related Subjects: 19th Century Alba Amicorum Art Painting & Drawing Watercolours
- Number: 1060022 (B1GALCRQ75WS)
- Dealer: Antiquariaat FORUM